We’re going to switch gears this week and discuss a topic that is near and dear to some of our readers – thermal management and heat shielding. Sometimes, utilizing a proper construction, your gasket can provide what you need in an application as far as thermal management is concerned. However, other times you will need a formed heat shield.
Similar to the variety you find in gasket materials, you will see that you have choices in what you select for your thermal management/heat shielding needs. One of the top questions that we get asked is “what is the benefit of using an embossed sheet over a flat sheet?” If this is the very reason that you stumbled upon this blog, you’re in luck. Keep reading.
1. Material content – The embossment structure provides 4x the stiffness vs. a flat sheet. This allows a thinner metal to be used to retain the same stiffness, allowing for lighter weight and lower material cost.
2. Structure – The embossment feature provides depth to a 2-dimensional design. As a single-layer, it provides a stand-off from touching surfaces. As a multiple-layer, it provides for an air-gap to prevent layers from full contact.
3. Design – Embossment provides unlimited design potential. The embossment pattern allows for easier forming than with flat sheets as some forming has already been started across the sheet. It also allows for a smoother transition in forming shapes as the rough corners and problem areas are minimized.
4. Noise reduction – Embossed is quieter than a flat metal shield. The 3-dimensional structure of the embossed sheet helps to disrupt sound waves that are reflected and transmitted. It also provides reduced vibration and reverberation as found with flat sheet designs.
5. Appearance – Embossment provides a more uniform appearance across the shield which is more appealing than a flat piece with rough corners. This provides a more professional look.
Take a Look
If you have any questions about embossed sheets and the advantages of working with them, please don’t hesitate to talk to a trusted supplier to learn more. Embossed metal products are designed for forming into heat shields using production tooling or hand-fabrication. Individually sold sheets can be the right solution for you to build a custom formed heat shield made exactly for your application that will provide performance to match even the best production designs.
Until next time!
If embossed metal is what you have been looking for, MTI offers these sheet products in aluminum and stainless steel material options so that prototypes and small quantity pieces can be easily built by hand for validation and product development. We’ll be glad to work with you on this development and can carry it through to a production part as needed.